COMPREHENSIVE EYE TESTS
Our Optometrist will conduct a comprehensive eye-exam taking a full 45 minutes with them that will check the health of your eyes inside and out. As well as finding the best correction for your vision they also check and monitor your eyes for conditions such as cataract, glaucoma, diabetes, macular degeneration and others.
An Eye-Examination is Recommended Every 2 Years
An eye-examination is recommended every 2 years or sooner if there is any personal or family history of eye health problems. Every child should have their eyes examined at the start of school or before if you suspect any problems.
When you book your eye-examination with our Optometrist we recommend you allow at least 45 minutes, and then some time afterwards for frame selection, consultation and advice from one of our friendly dispensing opticians (if needed).
WHY WE NEED TO TEST OUR EYES
The eyes play an important role in mobility, function, and enjoyment of life. For this reason, it is important to maintain good eye health. Having good eye health means that the eyes are disease-free, and that vision is at least 20/20 or better with or without correction.
In adults, Optometrists are particularly looking out for the following diseases:
– Glaucoma – this is where pressure on the optic nerve can cause loss of peripheral vision and even eventual blindness if not adequately treated. Risk factors include a family member with glaucoma, being over 40, diabetes, high blood pressure, a history of migraines, or use of steroid medication. Glaucoma is known as the ‘sneak thief’ of sight and damage can be done before people realise they have it.
– Macular degeneration – a problem that can develop as you get older. In its early stages it can have little effect but can progress without warning. Help protect yourself against macular degeneration with a healthy diet and good vitamin and mineral intake.
– Cataracts – this is where cloudiness or haze develops in the lens in the eye which causes vision to deteriorate.
LATEST DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT
At Orewa Optics we have the latest diagnostic equipment including:
- Retinal Imaging Photography
- Visual field Examination (Medmont field analyser)
- i-Care for painless Glaucoma screening. No more drops or sudden puff of air.
OCT, or Ocular Coherence Tomography, creates a cross sectional map of the retina with unparalleled accuracy.
You could think of OCT as an ultrasound for your eye. The procedure is non-invasive and requires no physical contact with the eye.
Our optometrists may recommend an OCT scan, to diagnose and monitor various eye conditions.